Many internationals looking to study in the United States liken their F1 student visa interview to an intense interrogation. And, they’re absolutely correct. As a function of the Department of Homeland Security, the Student Exchange and Visitor Program works to bring the best among international students into the US to study, while helping to protect our borders at the same time.
To best prepare for your F1 student visa interview, you’ll need to be ready to answer a battery of questions about your study plans, university choice, academic qualifications and potential, financial status and post-graduation plans. Besides the expected inquiries about your test scores, educational history and degree choice, WOLFPACCrecommends you be prepared to answer these 15 questions:
- Why did you choose to study in the US rather than in your home country or another?
- Can you not continue your education in your home country – and if not, why?
- How will this study program relate to your past work or studies?
- To how many colleges did you apply and of them, how many accepted / rejected you?
- Have you been to the US before?
- Do you know your professors at that university where you’ll study and if so, what are their names?
- How will you manage the cultural and educational differences in the US?
- How well do you speak and understand English?
- What do you know about US schools?
- What is your monthly income and that of your sponsor’s?
- How do you plan to fund your education and your living expenses for the duration of your stay in the US?
- Do you have relatives or friends currently in the US?
- What are your post-graduation plans?
- Do you plan to return to your home country or remain in the US after graduating and why?
- Do you have prospective job plans lined up and if so, where and with what company?
Also be prepared to show documents including your school transcripts, test scores and tax returns. Remember that being fully prepared allows you to be more relaxed, focused and confident in your interview – all things that will help ensure your success. And, to help further assure your medical school success, check out WOLFPACC’s Pre Med Head Start, USMLE and COMPLEX preparation courses.